A long time ago I ran out of shelf space, and many of my books are in boxes or in stacks in my office, bedroom, living room and family room. I read a lot. Time doesn't permit me to read all the books on my list, so I started downloading audible books to my iPhone and I listen while I walk two miles in the morning. Sometimes at the end of the two miles, the action is moving along so well, I'm tempted to walk further or run to my office and keep on listening when I should be writing. Why do I read? Let me count the ways.
- For pleasure (my favorite)
- For research (second favorite)
- For inspiration (Sometimes I'm inspired to write an article or story from something I read.)
- To learn (lots of books about writing)
- To study (to hone my craft)
- To keep up with my blogging/writing friends
- To keep up with the markets.
Write without reading? Are you kidding me? For me that would be disaster. I've learned that my writing improves whether I read for pleasure, research, inspiration or education. It's a life-long process.
What book(s) are you reading? What genre is your favorite? My inquiring mind would love to know.